Monday, July 28, 2008

Week 17: Earthworm Wins the Tournament!

Yet another fun weekend at Earthworm and I'm proud to say that we are the champions of this year's Intercommunity Volleyball Tournament.


There were five communities competing in the tournament: Earthworm Housing Co-op, Birchwood Hall Community, Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT), Lifespan-Townhead, and Redfield with over fifty people attending for the weekend.

Although tension and competiveness increased as the weekend progressed, everyone maintained a positive attitude and loads of fun. It has been remarked to me that my attempts at imbibing a pint of ale an hour hindered my skills later in the day and probably was a large factor in jamming my thumb on the ball a couple of times. Nevertheless, we went on to win the tourny and with a duct taped bandage to hold my thumb in place, I participated in each match we played (the pint an hour challenge was limited to Saturday).

Since it's unlikely I'll be in England next year, I'm disappointed that I won't be able to participate in the next tounament which will be held at Redfield.

We now have four days to sort of chill out and prepare for next week as we head out for Climate Camp on Friday.

- Kasza




Here are photos taken by me and AJ


Seb (playing for CAT) with a textbook volley


Joe (Earthworm) and Danny (Lifespan) battling it out at the net


O.B., the Earthworm Head Cheerleader


Rocky doing a little breakdance between serves


This is what losing a point looks like


Aeris all tuckered out after a full day of ratting


Evidently, the crowd was thoroughly entertained during the final match


Trophy for the best costume change goes to Lifespan


Trophy for the best dives goes to Rocky


Dressing up for the winner's ball


AJ epitimizing cool in one of her many poses

No comments: