Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Scarborough Woodland Project

I have been at the Woodland for three days now and I'm smelling quite ripe. The shower in my caravan is broken, so I haven't showered since Thursday morning when I left Nottingham. There are no other showers presently but an outdoor shower was received on Friday which will be installed soon.

Unfortunately for Louisa, the proprietor of the Woodland, things are fairly chaotic here. Zoning officials have demanded that the two 40' caravans that her and her two children (17 year old boy, Bill, and 13 year old girl, Cathy) were living in be demolished. They have been told that there should not be permanent buildings on the woodland lot. They have moved into a small shed-like home comparable to early North American pioneer homes.

While I've been here I've spent all of my time building a makeshift chicken pen to keep the roosters (or cockerels as the locals refer to them) from raping the hens.

I've learned to hate chickens while I've been here; they're basically filthy and noisy. I've come to this point of view after being woken up at 4:30 by cockerel and seeing the young chickens that Louisa is keeping in her home (they generate lots of poo).

I have to apologise for the lack of photos; I haven't had a chance to take any while I've been here. I'll be sure to make next weeks post more interesting.

Peace,
Kasza

No comments: