Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Full Week in Scarborough, UK

I have now completed a full week at the Scarborough Woodland Project. Some things about the experience have frustrated me but I'm taking a positive outlook and living by the saying "if it doesn't kill ya, it only makes you stronger". And since I'm not dead, I must be stronger.


Some highlights of the past week include:
- using a mixing bowl to bathe myself (didn't feel that much cleaner)


- listening to 13 year old Cathy mouth off to her mother, Louisa

- receiving my iPod Touch on Tuesday (thanks to Justin, the previous owner, and Andrew, the sender)


- finally finishing the chicken pen with Denzil


- finding a new hobby - wandering around densely populated areas trying to steal wi-fi signals with the iPod


Probably the biggest highlight of the week was having two proper showers this past weekend. I took the weekend off from WWOOFing and visited York. I had hoped to stay at the hostel but didn't book ahead because I don't have a telephone to them and you can't book online for York's YHA. So, I figured I'd wing it. Stupid! When I found out it had no vacancies, I walked around York for two hours with a list of guesthouses/B&B's, trying to find a cheap one with vacancies. Finally finding one, I paid promptly and headed for the shower. A week plus without a proper shower had left me quite filthy. I probably spend thirty minutes trying to get clean.

Trying to avoid spending money I mostly just walked around the city. The York Art Gallery was free so I stopped in there. I did feel it was necessary to spend a little money, so I took a tour of the York Brewery and sampled some of the ales. And I had lunch today at a vegan eatery; unfortunately the food wasn't up to Fressen/Urban Herbivore standards.

So, I can't believe it has been a month already. I figure I'll post a pic monthly to show that I am indeed still alive and healthy. Here's the first (taken today; would have been better/grosser if I had of taken it Friday):


Temporarily Clean,

Kasza




Southernly view from woodland


My accomodations at the woodland


A disclaimer accompanying art in the Shambles in York


Public footpath gate (based on the foot and half width restriction, I'd say only skinny people are permitted on the footpath)

1 comment:

David Leith said...

Wow, that is some hair you've got there Kasza ;-)

Good to see you are still kicking bud, it definitely looks like you are seeing the highs and lows of the backpacker life.

Living vicariously,

Leith