Sunday, May 4, 2008

Ayrshire By Way of Newcastle

Well, I have been in Coylston, Ayrshire for a full day now.

My trip here from Scarborough had a six hour stopover in Newcastle which was something. I decided to take a 10pm train from Scarborough on Friday because it was considerly cheaper than the other trips. The downside I found out was the stopover. I had figured I could nap in the train station but it turns out that they don't allow people in the train station after hours, so at midnight I ventured into Newcastle. I quickly realized that the Geordies enjoy their night life. I might have considered going into one of the clubs or pubs and joining in the revelry but I was weighed down by my backpack. So, I wandered a bit, waited in a cafe for a couple hours, wandered a bit more and finally was able to go back to the train station and catch my train to Scotland.

Apparently, my bearded face accompanied by my backpack gave the appearance to one of the locals that I was homeless person, or homely, and I was offered £2. Pride took over and I told him I had money but in retrospect I should have taken the money, considering it's more than $4.
I've started taking more photos this past week. One of the reasons that I wasn't taking too many photos was that I was limited to only two lenses, neither of which were telephoto. On Denzil's recommendation, I ventured into Scarborough to a used camera store and purchased a lens for £90 (I almost bought a cheaper one for £70 that I liked quite a bit more but the damn thing didn't work on my camera).


I worked with another WWOOFer for the first time this past week (Simon). Up until now, I had always been the only WWOOFer at the places I was staying at. From talking with Simon, he seemed to have the same feeling about the SWP as I did, a general question of "what does this have to do with woodland conservation?"

Well, I actually got a day of work, as close to working with the woodland as I was ever going to on Wednesday. Denzil was back and he had suggested to Louisa that she get the WWOOFers, Simon and I, to work on the woodland area where he had a planted a few fruit trees and copiced some willows. Before any work could be done though, the area would have to be cleaned up. These photos are the finished product (the garbage used to be dispersed about the cleared area).


Another job Simon and I spent a good portion of the week working on was leveling and staining cold frames. Considering how muddy the area is, it was good fun leveling them.


But the highlight of the week would have to be burning the two 40 foot caravans that were dismantled by request of the planning inspector.





Well, I've stayed up until 1am, getting this post ready, so it might be a bit rough (and unedited) and I'm quite tired.

- Kasza

PS. for the Alberta boys









PPS. randomish pics from last week available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/78683190@N00/



1 comment:

Alex Bewley said...

Dude,

Saw your photo and you look like Abbie Hoffman!
Let me know when you're coming back and I can rustle up some chicken wire for your desk.

Alex