Monday, June 9, 2008

Week Ten: Joyeux Anniversaire a Moi

Although this blog is slightly late going up and my birthday was yesterday, I still wanted to use that title. The blog is late because I was late getting in last night after a bike ride with one of the co-op residents, Joe, to get groceries from the nearby town, Ludlow. The trip back should have taken about an hour but was met with some unforeseen issues that caused us to arrive back about three hours later. These issues included a bike chain breaking half way which meant pushing the bike up hills and freewheeling down hills, missing the turn back to Leintwardine, and requisite pub stops.

It was definitely an enjoyable day of touring because before the grocery trip, in the morning, I had taken a three hour walk along nearby footpaths.


The footpath cuts through a wheat field

Unfortunately, a lot people from the co-op were away this weekend, so there wasn't any party at night but Joe and his brother Sam, who was visiting for the weekend, took me out for a birthday pint when we were in Ludlow (Sam didn't participate in the return trip adventures because he headed home to Bristol on a train from Ludlow). They also got me a couple ales the night before to ring in the birthday at midnight.

It has a been a great week here. I haven't ventured away from the co-op very much, aside from yesterday, because there is so much here to keep me entertained. It's amazing how much fun can be fit into seven acres. And with so many people around, there's always somebody to socialize with. It's really fun when a bunch of people get together in the evening and play a friendly game of volleyball.


Trampolines, volleyball net, fire pit, oh my

I guess it is obvious, since I am still here, that they agreed to let me stay until June 22 which is great because I'll be here for the Solstice party happening on the 21st. I just have to be careful to be up in time, so I don't miss my flight to Paris. I feel guilty about deciding to fly to Paris (since I've been in Europe, I've been educated about the severe pollution created by aviation emissions). It was a purely selfish decision, so that I could fit in everything I wanted to do (Solstice party and three days in Paris). It really is crazy the difference in price between air and rail fares. For example, my flight cost about £60 but to take the train from here to Paris would be £160. I'm sure a reasonable explanation is buried somewhere beneath taxes, subsidies, and loads of bureaucracy.

I am posting some photos of Earthworm but it really isn't going to do it justice. A less detailed but better representation of the site can be viewed on Google Maps.


One angle of the main house


The stable block (where I sleep) as seen from the garden

I haven't gotten around to taking photos of the people at Earthworm yet but here is a list of the people who I have met here in the past week.

Permanent Members
Steve, Ronie and their kids (Rhiannon, Lily, Morwenna, and Ned)
Joe and Amy Jane
Tracy and her son Jay
Lisa and her daughter Eve (haven't met Lisa yet because she's been away)
Rocky
Matt, Emma and their kids (Corryn and Djindra)

Visitors
Maurice (long term WWOOFer)
Sam (Joe's brother)
Emily (previous member)


And some more photos. These are two critters I have come across in the past week:


This bat was found in front of my door. It must have been sick or injured because it died shortly after.


I saw these remnants of a rabbit hanging from a fence while out walking yesterday. You'll have to draw your own conclusions of how a rabbit gets hooked on barbwire because I'm not really sure.

That's a good note to end on.

- Kasza

1 comment:

David Leith said...

Happy birthday chief, have a great time in Paris. France is the only place I have been where I couldn't find anybody that speaks English, or at least would admit to speaking English ;-)

Cheers,

Leith